Welcome dear friend! In this post, I present to you my new favourite chocolate dessert.
Short story of how this recipe became one of my favorites: This year I asked my partner to bake a chocolate cake for my birthday, mainly because I haven’t had a homemade cake for my birthday for ages. And I missed it.
He chose this recipe and I think he chose it very well. The whole cake-making process takes about 30 minutes from preparing to baking. Very easy to make, does not require many ingredients. If you would like to impress your loved ones I would suggest this recipe.
Expect a rich and buttery fudgy texture, an intense dark chocolate flavor, and a melt-in-your-mouth kind of experience. This chocolate dessert cake is irresistible.
I hope this recipe will bring some joy in these otherwise rough times we are experiencing currently.
Chocolate fondant versus chocolate fondant cake
This recipe is a chocolate fondant cake, not a chocolate fondant. In France, a chocolate fondant means this type of cake that I am about to share with you. In the US, however, and possibly in other parts of the English-speaking world, a chocolate fondant is this tiny individual chocolate lava cake with a runny center.
- 200 g dark chocolate (7 oz) (Good quality, we tried 50% and 70%….70% cocoa was the absolute winner.)
- 100 g butter + some for greasing the baking pan (1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons)
- 3 eggs
- 50 g flour (6 tablespoons)
- 100 g sugar (0,5 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 23 cm (9-inch) springform pan with butter. (Or for the first try we used a 25×20 cm baking pan.)
- In a medium saucepan over very low heat, melt butter and dark chocolate, stirring constantly to prevent chocolate from burning.
- In a separate bowl add the sugar and the flour combine. Then add the eggs to the sugar-flour mixture and mix them well.
- When the chocolate-butter mixture cooled down a little bit add it to the batter while stirring it vigorously to prevent the eggs from cooking.
- Pour the batter into your pan of choice and bake for 15-20 minutes. For the first try, we baked it for 20 minutes, but lately, we settled for 15 minutes. This way the cake remained more moist and fudgy.
- The sides of the fondant cake should be almost done while the center is slightly jiggling. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.
If you bake it in a 23 cm springform pan the batter makes about 6-8 slices.
If you cut it to 8 slices, one slice provides about 286 calories, 16 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbohydrates, 6 grams of protein.
For other chocolaty desserts click here.