This coconut sponge cake recipe comes from my partner’s family. I am not sure if they created this recipe, or if they found it somewhere. My boyfriend requested me to make this coconut sponge cake | coconut sponge torus because he hadn’t had it for a long time.
It is a decadent dessert with lots of butter, coconut, and sugar. It has a distinguished coconut flavor and is topped with a syrup made from apricot jam. I topped half of the coconut sponge cake with apricot jam and the other half with melted dark chocolate.
This coconutty dessert keeps fresh for days. We were snacking on it for 5 days.
It is quite easy to make, so if you need an easy dessert idea that requires only a few ingredients, and you like coconut flavor, I suggest this recipe.
For other easy dessert recipes click here.
Coconut Sponge Cake Ingredients
- 200 g butter (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp.)
- 4 eggs
- 200 g sugar (1 cup)
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar (1 tbsp.)
- 100 g flour (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 100 g cornstarch (3/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 125 g shredded coconut (unsweetened) (1 + 1/4 cup)
- apricot jam
I made this cake with 1 tsp. baking powder, my boyfriend made it with 1 tbsp. baking powder. We decided that the one with 1 tbsp. turned out better. If you like a firmer, more dense cake, use 1 tsp. baking powder.
How to make Coconut Sponge Torus | Instructions
- Beat the eggs in a bigger bowl. Mix the beaten eggs with sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, shredded coconut, and melted butter to the egg-sugar mixture.
- Mix it well. It takes a bit of time and elbow grease.
- Pour the batter into a greased, floured form. I choose a torus form. Alternatively, you can also use a bundt cake form or any other form you have at home.
- Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius degrees (350 Fahrenheit).
- Bake it for about 50-55 minutes.
- When ready let it cool completely. Take the cake out of the form and either drizzle it with melted chocolate, and sprinkle it with shredded coconut.
- Or mix in a saucepan 2 tbsp. apricot jam with 2 tbsp. water. On medium heat mix it well, until it combines. No need to heat it for a long time, just for 1-2 minutes. Pour this mixture on the cake, and sprinkle it with shredded coconut.
Let me know if you try this recipe…Use #cutecuisine on Instagram. I would love to see your creations. Follow me or tag me on Instagram @cute_cuisineee