In the past few weeks, my TikTok Fyp was flooded with Yogurt Custard Toast videos. All the custard toast videos were super cute, and the recipe seemed to be pretty simple and quick. I was eager to try it. If you need healthy breakfast ideas, that are easy quick to make, and delicious. I highly recommend this custard toast recipe.
It is sweet a bit tangy, nice and crispy on the sides but soft in the middle. You can get creative with this custard toast recipe. The first time I made it I added some sprinkles on top, the second time some jam, and the third time some frozen raspberries, and blueberry jam. All of them were superb, maybe the raspberry one was my favorite.
I tried them with whole-wheat toast bread, sourdough, and with brioche also. All of them worked perfectly. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with this yogurt custard toast recipe. Be experimental, try different fruits (frozen or fresh), different types of bread, and different yogurts, and add some chocolate chips if you like…
In some videos I saw people using flavored yogurts, that sounds good too. Although I used plain yogurt.
This easy, healthy breakfast is also ideal for meal prepping, you can make them the day before, and reheat them in the oven or a pan. I had some leftover custard toasts, I put them in a pan, added a splash of water, and put the lid on top. And let it warm for 2-5 minutes on medium heat.
Happy baking/cooking! Jó étvágyat!
For more breakfast recipes click here.
Custard Toast Ingredients
Easy breakfast ideas, under 5 main ingredients…Count me in! This amount makes about 4 custard toasts.
- 1 egg
- 150 g yogurt (about 1/2 measuring cup maybe a bit more)
- 4 slices of brioche or bread
- vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract
- frozen or fresh berries or jam or chocolate chips for topping
- agave syrup or honey or maple syrup to drizzle
How to make Yogurt Custard Toast | Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (360 degrees Fahrenheit) or air-fryer on a toasting setting.
- Take four pieces of bread, lay them on a lined baking tray, and use the back of a fork or spoon to press the middle of the bread flat (this will create a hollow to hold the yogurt mix).
- Whisk together the yogurt with the egg, a pinch of cinnamon, and a dash of vanilla. If you use fresh fruit: wash them and slice them up.
- Spoon the yogurt egg mix into the bread hollows and top with fruit or topping of your choice. Place the whole lot into the oven for 12-15 minutes OR air fryer and grill for 5 minutes or until the filling is set and the top browning. Serve with a drizzle of honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup.
Let me know if you try this recipe…Use #cutecuisine on Instagram. I would love to see your creations. Follow me or tag me on insta @cute_cuisineee
Substitutions & Notes
Egg: Try using 1 tsp. corn starch.
Yogurt: Use your favorite plant-based yogurt, you can use flavored yogurts or plain.
Brioche: You can use toast bread or sourdough, milk bread…whatever you have access to.
Frozen raspberries: Use fresh fruits (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries), or other frozen fruits of your choice. Sprinkles, chocolate chips…whatever you like.
Store & Reheat
If you make them ahead, the toasts remain fresh in the fridge for up to 1-2 days.
This option is the best if you are reheating a large amount of custard toast to feed your family or brunch group.
180 degrees Celsius (360 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Lay out the slices of toast in one layer with at least a ½ inch in between slices.
Bake for 2-3 minutes.
Heat a skillet or stove-top griddle on medium heat and coat it with a bit of cooking spray to grease the pan.
Place your pieces of custard toast on the pan, add a tablespoon of water, and put a lid on top.
Let it warm up for 2-3 minutes.
If your toasts are a little too soggy, put the pan at a bit higher temperature, add in some butter, and re-crisp the outsides. (For 1-2 minutes, without lid.)
Microwave the toasts for about 30 seconds. This way the reheated toasts won’t be crispy but they will still taste delicious, and this is the quickest way to reheat them.
1 slice provides about 213 calories, 8 grams of protein, 36 grams of carbohydrates, and 4 grams of fat.