THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE SALES LINKS.
There are many many kinds of apple pie. Almost every country has its own version of apple pie. The french make Tarte Tatin, in Hungary, apple pie has more of a rectangular shape, and we use grated apples, raisins, sometimes walnuts for our apple pie. All these kinds are very delicious.
One of my favorite types is American apple pie. This is a very easy recipe, I am trying Jenn Can Cook’s recipe with some modifications. Thanks to her especially for the crust recipe.
Fall for me is all about pie baking and home decorating and getting cozy. So I created a mini pie series for fall, which will include easy pie recipes.
For other dessert recipes click here.
Happy baking and happy fall! Bon appétit!
Let me know if you try this recipe…you can use #cutecuisine on Instagram. I would love to see your creations. 🙂
Apple Pie Ingredients
- 340 g (2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk (cow’s milk or vegetable milk for vegan pie)
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
- 150 g (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Corn starch (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- small pinch of ginger powder and ground cloves
- Vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
- 7 medium-sized apples (3 pounds apples) (9-10 cups) – I used Granny Smith
- a Tablespoon of milk (+ a Tablespoon of sugar for topping – sugar is optional)
- few bits of butter
- Preheat oven to 200° C (400° F).
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in milk & oil all at once and combine using a fork. Shape into a ball by hand.
- Divide dough in two. Shape each into a 12-13 cm (5-inch) disc. Wrap one in wax paper.
- Roll the other half between floured wax paper into a 30 cm (12-inch) circle and place it into the ungreased pie pan. Patch where needed, trim edges, and add leftover dough to the other half.
- Refrigerate both while you prepare the filling. (Do not put the other half of the dough inside the pie pan)
- Combine sugar, corn starch, and spices in a large bowl.
- Peel, quarter & core apples. Cut into 2 cm (3/4-inch) slices.
- Stir apples into the corn starch-sugar-spice mixture and place in prepared pie pan, add the butter bits on top of the apple filling.
- Roll top pastry between floured wax paper and place on top. Trim or flute edges.
- Brush top with milk (& sprinkle with sugar), avoiding the rim of the pastry.
- Poke about 4-12 slits in the top using a sharp knife. Cut out a 1 cm (1/2-inch) circle in the center to release steam. Place on a baking sheet in case of spills.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the crust is golden. I covered it for 25 minutes with aluminum foil, then removed the foil and baked it for another 25 minutes uncovered. Let it cool completely, otherwise, the liquids will pour out of the pie, when you cut it.
Apple Pie FAQ
What are the best apples to use in pies?
The most popular apple type for pies is Granny Smith because of its tart flavor and ability to hold its shape. If you want something with a little more sweetness, I recommend using Braeburn, Golden Delicious or Jonagold.
How do I keep my pie filling from being watery?
To prevent your pie from getting watery, make sure to have your pie crust ready before mixing the filling. The longer the filling sits before baking, the more moisture it will release.
Can I replace corn starch?
Sure. Some recipes call for tapioca flour/starch. Or You can simply use flour instead of starch.
Best spices and additions
Don’t be shy on spices. Ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla. They all go well with apple pies. You can also add raisins, walnuts, pecans to your pie. It will definitely not ruin it. Be creative.
You can keep baked apple pies at room temperature for up to two days. If the pie has been sliced, cover loosely with foil or plastic wrap. Apple pie will keep for an additional 2-3 days in the refrigerator, loosely covered with foil or plastic wrap.
You can also freeze your apple pie. It is best to freeze apple pie before baking, but you can freeze it after baking as well. Both baked and unbaked apple pie will last for up to 6 months in the freezer. If you freeze the apple pie filling by itself, it will remain fresh in the freezer for up to 12 months.
You can veganize you pie by using plant based milk for the crust, and the brushing. Plus skip adding butter on top of the apples prior baking, or add vegan butter.
This pie makes about 9 servings.
One slice provides about 425 calories, 15 g of fat, 70 g of carbohydrates, 5 g of protein.