In this post let me share with you an easy but delightful recipe. It is the season to get cozy and this recipe is perfect for chilly autumn and winter afternoons, nights.
Pop this in the oven and wait for the divine smell to fill your home.
The idea of baking an apple crisp came from one of Jenna Marble’s youtube videos. She and her boyfriend baked apple crisp and it looked so amazing, I knew I have to try it.
The first time I made apple crisp was for a family gathering since I made it several times and always got very positive feedback.
What variety of apples should you use?
You can use any apple variety you like. Traditionally the recipe calls for Granny Smith. Its flavor is tart and acidic. It remains firm when baked, making it a very popular cooking apple because it can be sweetened.
I’ve tried this recipe with many different varieties of apples. All of them worked well.
Can I substitute apple?
You can use different types of fruits for this recipe. I made it with plums, berry mix, and red currant. All of them worked well with this recipe.
I used different types of fresh and frozen fruit.
- 6 apples (variety of your choice or other fruit)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1,5 teaspoon ground cinnamon (1 teaspoon for the fruits, 0,5 teaspoon for the crisp)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 200 grams brown sugar (1 cup or 7.1 oz)
- 120 grams old-fashioned oats (3/4 cups)
- 100 grams flour (3/4 cups)
- 115 grams cold unsalted butter (diced)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F degrees). Butter a 20×20 cm (8×8 inch) baking dish, or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Peel the apples and chop them. In a mixing bowl, add the chopped apples, granulated sugar (2 tablespoons), 1 tsp of cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the topping ingredients (200 g brown sugar, oats, flour, 0,5 tsp cinnamon, salt, and diced cold butter). Rub the butter into the dry mixture with fingertips until it comes together into small crumbles. Alternatively, you can use two forks or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the mixture.
- Spread topping over the apples in the baking dish, and gently pat to even it out. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until it turns golden brown and bubbly.
- You can serve it with ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!
For other easy dessert recipes click here.
“You can spice things up with some cinnamon toast crunch. I crushed some and added it to the topping mixture.”