I wanted to try zucchini/courgette brownies for ages. Now the time has come as it is zucchini season. This vegan brownie recipe is a bit healthier than regular brownie recipes. This vegan brownie recipe contains zucchinis and oats for fiber and contains less added sugar. But the taste and the texture are immaculate. Next time I might add even less sugar and some melted dark chocolate.
Vegan brownie Ingredients
- 120 g flour (1 cup)
- 90 g ground oats (1 cup)
- 40 g cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 100 g vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
- 200 g sugar (1 cup)
- two small zucchinis
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180 ℃ (350°F). Grease a baking pan, I used a 33x23x5 cm one (13x9x3 inches).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to this mixture and stir.
- Then fold in the zucchini, let the mixture sit for a few minutes. Then, if your mixture is still very powdery, add up to 5 tablespoons water (start with 1 tablespoon and work up from there, stirring well after each addition). The batter will be thick but shouldn’t be powdery. Add nuts or chocolate chips or melted chocolate, if desired. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched.
This brownie is in between cakey and fudgy. 1 piece of brownie provides: 291 calories, 13 grams of fat, 38 grams of carbohydrates, 8 grams of protein
What are brownies?
A brownie is a square or rectangular chocolate-baked confection. Brownies come in a variety of forms and may be either fudgy or cakey, depending on their density. They may include nuts, frosting, cream cheese, chocolate chips, or other ingredients. A variation made with brown sugar and vanilla rather than chocolate in the batter is called a blond brownie or blondie.
What is a blondie?
A blondie (also known as a blonde brownie) is a rich, sweet dessert bar. It resembles the traditional chocolate brownie, but substitutes vanilla for the cocoa used in brownies, and contains brown sugar. Blondies are made from flour, brown sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, and vanilla, and may also contain walnuts or pecans, white or dark chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or other flavored chips.
They differ significantly from white chocolate brownies. Unlike the white chocolate brownie or the normal brownie, they contain no chocolate or chocolate flavouring, other than chocolate chips, which may be included.
What is the role of sugar in baked goods?
Sugar plays a role greater than sweetening.
It keeps baked goods tender (hygroscopic sugar attracts moisture, which makes it available to the flour and thereby contributes to a dessert’s soft, melting texture); it figures into proper spreading, browning, and aeration; and it extends shelf life.
Why did I add zucchini and oats to the recipe?
First of all, I love experimenting with recipes. And I love non-conventional recipes. Plus I like to create recipes that contain more fiber because most of us fail to eat enough fiber. Sure cannot cover your daily fiber intake with brownies. 🙂 But it is a delicious way to incorporate some fiber into your diet.
Why fibers are good for you?
The benefits of a fiber-rich diet include:
- better gastrointestinal health
- reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes, high cholesterol, obesity, type 2 diabetes, even some cancers
- nourishes your gut microbiome
- slows the absorption of glucose — which evens out our blood sugar levels — and also lowers cholesterol and inflammation.