It’s been a while since I had the traditional, iconic Hungarian dish Hortobágyi palacsinta. It is a savory Hungarian crêpe, filled with stew. I decided to make a vegetarian version of it and it turned out super delicious! This vegetarian dish is easy to make, very filling, and packed with flavors.
Vegetarian dish Ingredients
For the mushroom stew
- 50 dkg mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 10 dkg green peas
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch of chili powder
- dash of paprika powder
- fresh parsley
For the crêpes
- 20 dkg flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 dl milk
- 3 dl water or sparkling water
- crème fraîche
- mozarella or parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- Put the flour in a bigger bowl, add the 2 eggs, salt. Mix it and add the liquids to it gradually while mixing it. This way you can avoid clumps.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.
- Collect all your ingredients. Chop the onions, the mushrooms, and the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onions and sauté it until golden. Then add the chopped tomatoes cook for about 5 minutes. After that, you can add the mushrooms and the green peas. Stir in the spices and the chopped garlic cloves.
- Cook it until you get a thick stew. Let it cool down for a few minutes, to avoid injuries while filling the crêpes.
- Heat the oven to 180℃ degrees, meanwhile grease a baking pan.
- Put a packed tablespoon of stew to the top center part of the crêpes. Fold in the top and the two sides over the filling and roll it up.
- Put the filled crêpes into the greased baking pan. Put crème fraîche on the top of the crêpes and top it with grated cheese. Bake it until the cheese is melted and gets a nice golden color
- When serving you can top it with fresh parsley. ♥
For other vegetarian dishes click here.
One portion about (3 filled crêpes) provides 570 calories, 27 grams of fat, 54 grams of carbohydrates, 27 grams of protein. Tip: you can save some of the sauce and stir it with the crème fraîche and top the filled crêpes with that.